AI Leaving mission area?

I have been getting reports on my server that the AI are wandering away from the mission, sometimes 400 to 500m away. Is there any way to change their behavior to prevent this? Any help would be appreciated. I am using the standard arma 2 AI with no sarge ai installed or any of those addons

This is a known issue, and I've tried my best to prevent it.

What I believe it is is the AI spot an enemy, be it player or enemy ai, and then try to chase it down while flanking it, which can get them away from the mission.

If we remove the behavior, then they will just lay there and not be the active flanking AI that makes them so deadly, unfortunately.

Hmmm, comparing the AI of DZMS vs. WAI (I'm using both), I feel that WAI is much more dangerous because it as a rule dispatches a team to go hunting for the player.

In my experience DZMS mostly is just running around (makes them harder to hit than WAI ;-) near the objective, it's rare that I see some of them trying to flank me.

But maybe I've missed a configuration option?

Hmmm, comparing the AI of DZMS vs. WAI (I'm using both), I feel that WAI is much more dangerous because it as a rule dispatches a team to go hunting for the player.

In my experience DZMS mostly is just running around (makes them harder to hit than WAI ;-) near the objective, it's rare that I see some of them trying to flank me.

But maybe I've missed a configuration option?

Have you synchronized the AI settings between the two? 

No, I'm running both AI sets out of the box.

Perhaps I was too fast scanning the documentation but I had the impression that while you can define similar skill setting arrays (for aiming accuracy, etc.), the basic AI behaviour is programmed differently.

The in game difference is not in that WAI would see me earlier or shoot better but that they make more determined and wider flanking moves, sometimes they really circle around me while DZMS comes straight for me, if at all.

Perhaps I was too fast scanning the documentation but I had the impression that while you can define similar skill setting arrays (for aiming accuracy, etc.), the basic AI behaviour is programmed differently.

The in game difference is not in that WAI would see me earlier or shoot better but that they make more determined and wider flanking moves, sometimes they really circle around me while DZMS comes straight for me, if at all.

Could be that there are differences between them, don't know. Reason I bring up the skills is the description of a couple AI skills are vague enough that they could potentially explain differences in behaviour:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/AI_Sub-skills

Specifically:

courage

• Affects unit's subordinates' morale (Higher value = more courage)

general

• Raw "Skill", value is distributed to sub-skills unless defined otherwise. Affects the AI's decision making.

They don't really explain what 'courage' or 'decision making' mean. These could affect AI tactics...or maybe not.

WAI usually spawns closer to buildings than DZMS, DZMS will flank if they don't feel capable of engaging you head on. I believe WickedAI acts the same.

They don't really explain what 'courage' or 'decision making' mean. These could affect AI tactics...or maybe not.

Ok, I tried that, changing these arrays to mirror those defined in WAI, thus de-facto upping all but the first 2 entries to 1. To no avail, maybe the aim has gotten a bit better, but that's not the point because I like being out'thought' not aimbotted ;-)

WAI's AIconfig.sqf has entries

/// Sets behavior of AI groups

ai_combatmode = "RED";

ai_behaviour = "SAFE";

that don't have equivalents in DZMSAIConfig.sqf. Maybe those have an influence...

Nevermind, I'm running DZAI, DZMS and WAI and mybe the differences in behaviour add to the flavour of the combo....