Tie plot pole to UID [1.0.5]

Turtle

So I'm back at this post.

I posted something a while ago asking if there was a way to get plot poles to stick with the players after they die. I was instantly told it's just simply not possible.

Well whoever you were that told me this I'm here to tell you that you're wrong. 

Epoch Dev's, if your reading this, I think it's something that would make epoch a WHOLE lot better. Especially since you guys are working on A3 Epoch obviously a lot more than A2. 1.0.5 should seal the final deal for A2 Epoch being the best mod and this is just another way you guys could really make it very enjoyable to play and players can really feel like they really own their base. 

So what I'm here to say is that it's totally doable and shouldn't take much time out of your lives to at least just include all that ^ up there in the link to the default files. Hope fully I'll see this in the change log soon :)

Thanks

It's doable, but the devs have said in the past that the loss of the ability to build on your plot pole or to have to remove and replace your plot pole, was punishment for allowing yourself to die. I thought the fact that you lose everything on your body, and respawn far away was punishment enough, but apparently not to the devs.

It's a simple fact that removing one's plot pole after death is a daunting task requiring multiple toolboxes and crowbars, which someone doesn't have if they just died. Not having the plot pole linked to the UID discourages players from continuing after death, which just makes the communities running the servers suffer. I understand that we're not paying for the mod and that the devs will make the mod the way they like, but I'm pretty sure if you polled everyone, you'd find the majority want their plotpoles and built items to be tied to their UID.

It's doable, but the devs have said in the past that the loss of the ability to build on your plot pole or to have to remove and replace your plot pole, was punishment for allowing yourself to die. I thought the fact that you lose everything on your body, and respawn far away was punishment enough, but apparently not to the devs.

This decision should be left to the admin(s) who runs the server. It would be best if the devs provided the option for such behavior

It's a simple fact that removing one's plot pole after death is a daunting task requiring multiple toolboxes and crowbars, which someone doesn't have if they just died. Not having the plot pole linked to the UID discourages players from continuing after death, which just makes the communities running the servers suffer. I understand that we're not paying for the mod and that the devs will make the mod the way they like, but I'm pretty sure if you polled everyone, you'd find the majority want their plotpoles and built items to be tied to their UID.

Making it required to pull and reset the plot pole isn't much of an issue with me. It is not being able to remove buildable after you have been killed (sometimes while building the base in the first place) that I have issues with. There are cases where you need to modify your base, but can't because of an unremoveable buildable.

Explain. 

Grab remove.sqf from client files, move it mission side, overwrite it in compiles.sqf then change the code:

Default remove.sqf code block:

if(_finished) then {
		_counter = _counter + 1;
		// 10% chance to break a required tool each pass
		if((_isDestructable or _isRemovable) and !_isOwnerOfObj) then {
			if((random 10) <= 1) then {
				_brokenTool = true;
			};
		};
	};
	if(_brokenTool) exitWith {
		_isOk = false;
		_proceed = false;
	};

My modified code block:

if(_finished) then {
		_counter = _counter + 1;
		// 10% chance to break a required tool each pass
		if((_isDestructable or _isRemovable) and !_isOwnerOfObj) then {
			if((random 40) <= 1) then {
				_brokenTool = true;
			};
		};
	};
	if(_brokenTool) exitWith {
		_isOk = false;
		_proceed = false;
	};

Basically I lowered the chance of tools breaking by changing the random 10 to random 40. You can use any number you wish.

Removing and replacing your plot pole is a simple thing. I've broken fewer than 7 crowbars/toolboxes in the latest version of Epoch and replaced my plot pole at least 15 times if not 20+ so.......

It is almost so simple they might as well just use UID but I understand why they don't. If you don't like it, re-code it yourself that is how the creators want it. 

Making it required to pull and reset the plot pole isn't much of an issue with me. It is not being able to remove buildable after you have been killed (sometimes while building the base in the first place) that I have issues with. There are cases where you need to modify your base, but can't because of an unremoveable buildable.

This.

As I've argued many times before, tying UID to the plot pole is not enough, any built object should carry the UID.

Reasons from an admin point of view:

• griefers who make a living from sniping people that are building - it's a pain in the behind when you have to hunt after a dozen PlayerIDs because a (un)happy builder has been killed that often
  • ease of finding out who certain structures belong to, regardless of name changes or deaths, even days later, after the periodic DB maintenance

Of course, to be thorough, one would have to move the code of doors/safes out of the ID field (into the fuel field would work). No more anonymous doors and - finally - a way to identify the owners of scattered safes ot those that contain illegal items.

This.

As I've argued many times before, tying UID to the plot pole is not enough, any built object should carry the UID.

Reasons from an admin point of view:

• griefers who make a living from sniping people that are building - it's a pain in the behind when you have to hunt after a dozen PlayerIDs because a (un)happy builder has been killed that often
  • ease of finding out who certain structures belong to, regardless of name changes or deaths, even days later, after the periodic DB maintenance

Of course, to be thorough, one would have to move the code of doors/safes out of the ID field (into the fuel field would work). No more anonymous doors and - finally - a way to identify the owners of scattered safes ot those that contain illegal items.

That is actually a really good argument for altering how they track objects. I know I gave up building bases on servers with AI that spawn in near players because in building the base you will almost always get an AI spawn from being in one area for a long time. You are typically overburdened and so can't maneuver and might even be doing something like trying to get wood and so running around with an axe in hand instead of a gun. 

Whilst I have made a mod available which ties the playerUID to the buildables, I do not think this is the best solution with the current hive structure.  Whilst it works pretty well now, it could well run in to issues further down the line especially as the PlayerUIDs now can contain letters and the characterID fields are numberic.

I am looking at tying buildables and builders to plot poles meaning that anyone who is on the builder list can build as if they were that plot poles buildables owner.  At the present time, this looks like a much more robust solution, especially as the plotpoles inventory field is longtext so needs on PlayerUID conversion.  Still need to work out the logic for what happens to the buildables if the plot pole is removed though.  Maybe a take ownership of plot option on placing a new plopole with removal of non-claimed buildables with a set time.

RB