Just a simple map :)

Hello there,

while some of you may know me, or maybe not directly but have seen ctc-gaming.com here and there, for a couple of downloadable Offline-Maps around DayZ (Taviana, Isla Duala, Napf to name a few), i've now decided to up the anthe a bit and provide clean maps for your viewing pleasure powered by leaflet & also provide the chance to download them in one central place.

This is, by no means, to start a fight with dayzdb.com, who provide nice lootspots for the popular maps out there (even though they used my created taviana-map w/o asking and don't answer when writing them if they want their own, personalized, version of it instead of the one with the ctc-gaming wartermark on it [check the south-west airfield on dayzdb.com]), it's more like a clean alternative w/o any lootspots and just a high quality map that you can zoom, pan & download. (Should also work & look nice on your mobile/tablet, including ingame-coordinates!).

So as far as Epoch goes, I've also included the (1.0.1.5) default traders + links to the corresponding wiki-pages, in case you need to quickly look something up.

http://maps.ctc-gaming.com/epoch/ (btw: It's one of the few maps avaiable online that are not cut and don't contain the upper 2km stretch of land, mine has the whole 15.3x15.3km of chernarus in it)

Feel free to share the link and spread the word and maybe buy me a beer ;)

More maps are coming once I find the time to convert them into leaflet-ready images.

[check http://maps.ctc-gaming.com/ for what's on the horizon, although many of them are nearly ready as i've done them before for my videos].

Cheers,

DNightmare

PS: Yeah I know the icons are quite silly for the epoch map, but for now it's just google image search, I'll get better ones once my gfx-artist friend has some spare time.

€dit: As i'm still developing the "API" / "framework" behind all that and just started using leaflet this night, feel free to post bugs / problems in this Thread aswell.

Realized 'Epoch Resources' would prolly be the better place, if a mod could move the topic... would be awesome :)

Nice work. Did you create the tiles yourself from Screenshots ? Lot of work.. . I have created similar and spent an age trying to find a good quality map.

Also used G's map API. Objects are live from the db, though the db not been updated for a while.

http://www.thefreezer.co.uk/Chernarus . asp

Found a good script designed to automate the Tile creation in photo shop was handy..

Nice work. Did you create the tiles yourself from Screenshots ? Lot of work.. . I have created similar and spent an age trying to find a good quality map.

Well i do all my maps from ingame screenshots [so when doing maps for a new mod.. the hardest part is finding a map and a safe spot xD].

Chernarus/Epoch for example was 256 BMPs and my working directory is now looking like this:

epochmap-source.png

So far I did:

• Takistan (well those were no screenshots, i have the physical map from BI and scanned it)
  • Taviana 1.0 / 1.5 (over 620 Screenshots.... just don't ask about time or memory consumption xD)
  • Napf
  • Celle
  • Panthera (pre 2.9, have to redo it soon)
  • Isla Duala
  • Chernarus @ Epoch

But they were only big jpg's for my youtube followers and the like to download... yesterday i was bored and not tired at all, so i started with leaflet and at 5:30am it finally worked the way i wanted.

(struggled to get the lat/lang to ingamecoord calculation working)

Found a good script designed to automate the Tile creation in photo shop was handy..

Well it's all non-scripted, hand-made work.. as the sourcematerial i take when on a server is not perfectly in the same spot everytime, zoom changes, etc.. so i have to sort, crop, clean (sometimes chatmessages from sidechat are in the screen) and then re-assemble all the pieces of the map back together.. no script on earth could do that.

Chernarus took ~2hrs from launching the game to the final 16.000x16000 Image [and used up to 80GB of swap and 90% of my 16GB RAM xD]

After that, it's a simple: run script to generated all the small titles, adjust my latn/lang->GPS script with the new map-specific values and put everything together/ upload it.

In the next Days/Weeks the others will surely follow... first the ones i already have, just so that they're online, then redo all the old ones cause at max zoom there're quite some errors etc.. being german, i like it w/o any errors :D

cheers,

DNightmare

€dit: Your map also misses the top 2km :P

There is a way to get arma to export the map to an emf file, then use irfanview to convert it to a png. From there edit it then use a tiling tool.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?104553-How-to-take-the-islands-from-the-maps-game-as-a-picture&p=1705223#post1705223

Chernarus 15360x15360

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/135243/chernarus.png (15mb png)

There is a way to get arma to export the map to an emf file, then use irfanview to convert it to a png. From there edit it then use a tiling tool.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?104553-How-to-take-the-islands-from-the-maps-game-as-a-picture&p=1705223#post1705223

Chernarus 15360x15360

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/135243/chernarus.png (15mb png)

Unfortunately there are some (severe) limitations to this method - some aspects of the map do not reflect the actual map in the editor. There are no place names, spot elevations or runway outlines and some vegetation or other objects may not display properly.

And that's why i do it "oldschool", but good to know.. will sure make some nice 2nd layer to put into the map.. thanks for posting.

• 4 weeks later...

That is dedication, I didn't realise there was more up there :)

I had immense fun trying to match the in-game coords to google map coords, ended up with a weird calculation using percentages N/S or E/W from a defined central point in the map.

Using a blank map, like maca's link, it would be possible to scan the map, in-game, and output stuff, with coords, to the .rpt file, then overlay that.. Then a bit of copy and paste fun into a spreadsheet -> db..

Well I've been busy developing that whole "framework" and bit further now... It's still in the testing but so far I can display my active players on the map in near realtime [1ec polling rate] (while they're playing on a server that is not hosted on ctc-gaming.com but on a root that I could add a little API to, and draw their path / direction) and the coordinates are now +/- 2m I would say.

You can even tell on which side of the road a player is driving.

Not avaiable to the public and only been tinkering behind closed doors, but will add even more cool things to it.

For now, it's still just a collection of clean maps (got the screenshots für Trinity and a couple of others ready aswell.. so the collection grows each week :D)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...