A3 Epoch Testers

Dobrowney

I just purchased Arma3 in hopes of receiving one of said keys!!!!! I'm not an original tester of the ArmA2 epoch mod, but doesn't having new blood mixed in with the old blood help development?!?! Much respect to Dev's and the life(of the mod)long players!

No joke, I would love to become a part of this as well, but it really frustrates me when people practically demand or beg for certain roles such as this, if you are going to ask to be a tester why don't you write something a little more elaborate than "I WANT TO TEST IT!" because then what stands you out from among the rest? write something that gives the developers a reason to to select you, something that your use full for,like: 'I have an extremely good understanding on how Arma 3 works and plays, I have a large amount of playtime within the game and enjoy it. I have had previous experience with the epoch mod and think I would be a valuable asset to your testing team.' I'm not sure how the devs think about this but if I were them I would overlook every comment that goes along the " I want to test" lines

Btw, I'm not yet sure if I'm rambling or criticising and insulting anyone with this post :/

No joke, I would love to become a part of this as well, but it really frustrates me when people practically demand or beg for certain roles such as this, if you are going to ask to be a tester why don't you write something a little more elaborate than "I WANT TO TEST IT!" because then what stands you out from among the rest? write something that gives the developers a reason to to select you, something that your use full for,like: 'I have an extremely good understanding on how Arma 3 works and plays, I have a large amount of playtime within the game and enjoy it. I have had previous experience with the epoch mod and think I would be a valuable asset to your testing team.' I'm not sure how the devs think about this but if I were them I would overlook every comment that goes along the " I want to test" lines

Btw, I'm not yet sure if I'm rambling or criticising and insulting anyone with this post :/

You make a good point, and i agree with you. From a dev standpoint though, its not healthy to have only "experienced coders, experienced players, and experienced mod users". To get the most out of every testing phase you need some"Derp", "pick me!" players as well as people that have no exp with any of it to use as a control in the sense of "How will this mod feel to the complete bambi?". Will he/she be able pick it up and run or will he stumble and fall so much that he quits out of frustration? because for the most part game (mod) success will follow the same model. If it is only set up for/with those with previous exp in the genre/mod series then typically those will be the only people who will be able to play it, as it is intended to be play. Good points all the same sir. 

Get this man/woman a beer.

You make a good point, and i agree with you. From a dev standpoint though, its not healthy to have only "experienced coders, experienced players, and experienced mod users". To get the most out of every testing phase you need some"Derp", "pick me!" players as well as people that have no exp with any of it to use as a control in the sense of "How will this mod feel to the complete bambi?". Will he/she be able pick it up and run or will he stumble and fall so much that he quits out of frustration? because for the most part game (mod) success will follow the same model. If it is only set up for/with those with previous exp in the genre/mod series then typically those will be the only people who will be able to play it, as it is intended to be play. Good points all the same sir. 

Definitely need the derps as well, maybe some of the pay 2 win dweebs can help in that department.

Ayup, both good points. Hence the need to pass out some keys. But we have a fairly rounded testing group to start that understand how we develop the mod and a lot of different play styles.

Ayup, both good points. Hence the need to pass out some keys. But we have a fairly rounded testing group to start that understand how we develop the mod and a lot of different play styles.

What kind of tester are you looking for to balance the group?

I agree that with testers you need to have some people that know their way around the game style and you need some new people who have never experienced the game before. I know that for me initially I didn't like the survival style games when I first tried them because I found the Arma 2 controls and complexity overwhelming and only after having a play about in a private server I set up for friends (where I could occasionally take a mulligan) did I learn and start to thrive on the genre.

However one thing I believe will make the development/test cycles more effective is trying to find players, new and veterans, who actively try and find issues with functionality and who know how to effectively load bug reports. 

As a developer I know how tricky finding the cause for a bug can be and how sometimes the end user's feedback is vague. maybe a good thing is to have a post for an example bug and instructions on how to load it into a bugtracker and/or forum post.

saying that myself and a mate would both love to help out with testing, I am a programmer and a game player for over 20 years, and I have participated in many alpha/beta tests even before early access became popular. my friend is experienced with epoch but is not programmer savvy but does have a uncanny nature of finding bugs.

Thank you for reading my post, and thank you for investing your time into developing something I know will become amazing and I look forward to being involved in the community, development (if I am lucky), and public release.

P.S. loved the teaser video and look forward to more in the future.

Ooo i badly want a key, playing breaking point like crazy, this will blow all mods and the dayz standalone away. I also know some basic programming, and i have modded other games before. Will be twitch streaming if its allowed

Edited by Frebec