Servers that Give Loot for Donations

agulot

First If I Donate, I expect noting back. That's why it's a DONATION (see definition of donation), but what do people think about servers were you can say donate $5 and get a locked Vehicle. Or $10 for a Locked A10 (it's a Jet). What about $40 and you can build a base in the editor, and send the saved map to the admin and they will stand it up for you?

Is that wrong? Just Looking for opinions.

Been discussed many times on these forums, the long and short of all those discussions is that it was generally unacceptable to pay for an item,  however it was generally acceptable to donate and receive gifts for doing so because gifts are good, buying items is bad. That came down to my php donation manger allowing people to donate money, and in return getting the gift of tokens to use as you see fit.

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Because people have never understood the full difference between donating and buying. However, when it comes to buying - a lot of other factors come in to play, refund requirement and so on. That is why people use the donation system, since they can more or less get money and give items in return without risking any repercussions. This is very prominent in the "pirated" private game servers in games such as Lineage 2 and World of Warcraft. There has been instances where Lineage 2 servers have been shut down by the FBI because they used donations as a way to sell items and gain profit.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2007/february/iptheft020107

Now, I don't believe a server gaining money from donations and selling items can be reported to the FBI, but it's servers as an example to what can happen in the worst of cases.

In the end, earning money on others work is often not accepted. I believe that selling items is wrong and that donating to get a advantage above others is wrong. That is why my server only has donations to change your safe/door/etc code, nothing else.