considering mods of the mod

aspekx

im new to Epoch, so if i am missing something vital feel free to, politely, fill me in.

when i played DayZ it was for the experience of pure survival. the pvp was an interesting element/variant for the game, but quite honestly most of my time was spent just trying to stay alive via scavenging and zed avoidance. however, it did lack something: once you had your gear you could store it in a tent, which was a cool option, but you had no vested stake in the world if all you did was wander the world looking for your next bean and water fix. Origins changed this in some interesting ways and along with this Epoch which began to actively add more and more options.

what i have noticed as a new player to Epoch is that it appears to be basically a base building ARMA II free for all pvp game. especially with the servers that seem to me to be newer that have a high frequency of fliers and armored vehicles.

i am not saying this is a bad thing. instead, i am wondering if perhaps there might need to be some mods of the mod that cater more to players who are looking for this, as it seems there are a good population of them.

perhaps (heresy here) replacing zombies with some other localized threat: bandits? insurgents? or the reverse government backed forces putting down the players who would be base building clans of insurgents.

i dunno. from the above i'm sure you can tell i'm clearly not a game developer, even in the hobbyist sense. however, it does seem from this freshie's perspective that the zombie fad is fading out and perhaps some new apocalyptic threat could be created as one of several scenario options for Epoch (ie., keep the zombies! but offer other options).

it seems that some of the greatest draw for Epoch servers consists of the sandbox building, free for all pvp, scavenging, and AI missions. there are plenty of other scenarios to create your post-apocalyptic free for all.

another consideration is the creation of more purist survival mode versions. the world is a dangerous place even w/o monsters. what would it take to survive a collapse in Chernarus that was electromagnetic in that all electronics were gone leaving only the mechanical and hand made as options.

finally, and again this is just an *option*, but i am wondering how Epoch modifications might encourage more cooperative gameplay in a survival setting. after all as harsh as a death penalty might ever be in a game, unless it deactivates your game key you will *always* come back from a loss. real life survival doesn't work like that and humans as animals realize this at an instinctive level, thus cooperation grows larger over time, not smaller.

just ponderings. again i make no claim to these even being close to applicable to modding Epoch server variations, but diversity of gameplay has always seemed like a plus to me, no matter what the game.