"Waiting for Character to create" Players can't connect, but not all!

aaaman

Question

Hello,

have a weirred problem.

Players playing for weeks, and died, then they cponnect to server again and get stuck at the message "Waiting for Character to create",

then timeout an kick to lobby.

In the database, they spawn as character, but with no position. Cleaning the chars in database didn't help.

RPT says this:

17:41:04 "infiSTAR.de PlayerConnected: _uid: 24562452452   _name: PLAYER-WITH-PROBLEM"
17:41:04 "infiSTAR.de Player-Log: PLAYER-WITH-PROBLEM(24562452452) - 1h 37min"
17:41:15 Server: Object 28:515 not found (message 132)
17:41:27 "ERROR: Cannot Sync Character PLAYERWITHNOPROBLEM2 has nil characterID"
17:41:56 "get: STRING (30650182), sent: STRING (30650182)"
17:41:56 "DISCONNECT: PLAYERWITHNOPROBLEM1 (44222) Object: B 1-2-E:1 (PLAYERWITHNOPROBLEM1) REMOTE, _characterID: 4524 at loc [9438.51,10838.1,0.000823975]"
17:41:56 Client: Remote object 41:0 not found
17:41:56 Client: Remote object 41:11 not found
17:41:57 Warning: Cleanup player - person 41:10 not found
17:41:58 "Player is Null FAILED: Exiting, player sync: <NULL-object>"
17:41:59 "Player is Null FAILED: Exiting, player sync: <NULL-object>"
17:42:20 "ERROR: Cannot Sync Character PLAYERWITHNOPROBLEM2 has nil characterID"
17:42:20 "ERROR: Cannot Sync Character PLAYERWITHNOPROBLEM2 has nil characterID"
17:42:30 Server: Object 28:485 not found (message 132)
17:42:38 "get: STRING (24562452452), sent: STRING (24562452452)"
17:42:38 "DISCONNECT: PLAYER-WITH-PROBLEM (24562452452) Object: B 1-2-G:1 (PLAYER-WITH-PROBLEM) REMOTE, _characterID: 0 at loc [-7246.02,19535.3,1.16354]"
17:42:38 "ERROR: Cannot Sync Character PLAYER-WITH-PROBLEM as no characterID"
17:42:38 Client: Remote object 46:12 not found
17:42:38 Client: Remote object 46:11 not found
17:42:38 Client: Remote object 46:0 not found
17:42:39 Client: Object 34:63 (type Type_149) not found.
17:42:40 Client: Object 21:492 (type Type_149) not found.
17:42:41 "Purging player: 46cb0080# 1069337: man_survivor.p3d"

Seems the PLAYER-WITH-PROBLEM spawns in debug, right???

I also testet it myself, but getting everytime a new character and spawn position

Hope somebody has an idea :o

Thanks!

I was having this problem last night. When I checked my database's "player_login" table, I noticed that the players were connecting with a characterID of 0. I restarted my server and that fixed it. I suspect it's a database connection issue. I opened a ticket with Vilayer about this yesterday so I should have some sort of response by Easter.

Server restart didn't help. One player get it fixed as he reinstall arma +DayZ Epoch + DayZ Commander. Also i deleted him in the database, maybe luck or a combination of all things :huh:

I wait for others to respond.

PS: I have a dedicated server with own Database ^_^ So im the support :o

I sometimes have this with players that try to join, but then it is for everyone. I think this is more something basic.cfg based then.

I would be interested as to what it could be causing, but what also helps for the player is to delete his pbo's, squad.xml's, custom faces that he has downloaded over time. All found in this folder:

C:\Users\Ruben\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA

Over time it can get quite a lot and sometimes it corrupts a player his files!

Server restart did'nt fix that problem. I did cleaned the character_data table, will see if it helps. Is there a routine to make an event to clean the player_data table, because it has no timestamp row to sort or delete :(

You can use this to clean up old character data

DELETE FROM `character_data`
USING character_data, character_data AS tmpcharacter_data
WHERE NOT character_data.CharacterID=tmpcharacter_data.CharacterID
AND character_data.CharacterID<tmpcharacter_data.CharacterID
AND (character_data.PlayerUID=tmpcharacter_data.PlayerUID)

You can use this to clean up old character data

DELETE FROM `character_data`
USING character_data, character_data AS tmpcharacter_data
WHERE NOT character_data.CharacterID=tmpcharacter_data.CharacterID
AND character_data.CharacterID<tmpcharacter_data.CharacterID
AND (character_data.PlayerUID=tmpcharacter_data.PlayerUID)

Already running this, i want to ask for the player_data table to clean up, not character_data

Ya, I also host from Vilayer and get this issue. I wonder if you could right a SQL to change the 0 to a 1 in the player_data table?

Edit:

UPDATE `Player_login` SET CharacterID=(dontknowwhattoput) WHERE CharacterID=0

Something like that?

I don't think that table does anything but record logins.  Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the mod does not rely on this information.

The code handling this is here in the server_playerSynch.sqf

if (isnil "_characterID") exitWith {
diag_log ("ERROR: Cannot Sync Character " + (name _character) + " has nil characterID"); 
};

if (_characterID == "0") exitWith {
diag_log ("ERROR: Cannot Sync Character " + (name _character) + " as no characterID");
};

As to why a player would log in with a char id of 0, the best idea I can come up with is that the hive is slow and could not fetch the information in time.

I typically see this issue occur when my player count gets above 35.  Server restarts typically do resolve this issue, also if you get this right after restart, alt-f4 when the count gets greater than 30 and try again, seems to fix it for me.

Since you see this behavior under heavy server load you should try editing the basic.cfg, but first you should log in to your server as admin "#login <Spassword>" and do "#monitor 1" without quotes in direct chat or something so if you mess up someone doesn't see your rcon password. If your server FPS gets below 20 you should really look into finding out which scripts are taking up a lot of CPU resources and tone them down, the lower your server FPS the higher max packet numbers you will want but too high and you can cause teleport and rubberbanding issues.

MaxMsgSend MaxSizeGuaranteed MaxSizeNonguaranteed MinBandwidth are the main ones. Only dedicated servers can run MaxMsgSend at or under 128 efficiently under load, set this to 256/384/416/448/480/512 for shared hosting. MinBandwidth is really important and might be worth setting to something absurdly low like 50000-75000, keep in mind these are bits not bytes. Increasing the MaxSizeN/Guaranteed will decrease demand on server resources but can cause desync, especially in vehicles with NonG when too high. NonG should be lower than G.

Not sure if this is related or not but I went through my client RPT and cleared up all the undefined variables being reported - All of them needed to be added to variables.sqf mainly s_player_xxxxx -1; variables.

Hope this helps someone it did me, I can login no issues at all now :)

Hello guys. I've been searching on the internet for this " no characterID" problem for the whole day, trying to log in to my new Epoch server. I've tried dozens of solutions found on the internet, but none of them worked and some even created new problems. I've reinstalled all files including server and client, tried to modify pbo's and messed with Mysql database, etc. All in vain. At last, some minutes ago I tried a simple thing as a last resort: I tried to launch ARMA2OA through Steam and go to player profiles, then click "edit" and click "ok" without changing anything. In fact, I was only checking for the GUID, that is whether it existed, which I believed might be the problem in this case. The ID was present, so I just tried to connect one more time and suddenly I spawned :D No timeouts bothered me for 5 minutes, so everything seemed to be in order. Maybe the problem was that the game needed to reassign the ID to the player. I don't know whether this is a correct solution, but only after that move my client successfully joined the server. I'll go on with testing it.

Just in case, what I had installed at that moment:

• ArmA2 (steam)
  • ArmA2OA (steam)
  • DayZ(steam)
  • DayZ Epoch mod (downloaded manually trying to fix the problem, dayz commander said the version was ok, so maybe just install it via DZC, in my case direct download was faster)
  • DayZ Epoch server - located in a separate folder, I unpacked all ArmA2, ArmA2OA and DayZ Epoch Server files into the server folder.
  • No other scripts/missions/files, just initial games and mods above

Well, I think that's all :D