Keeping Players out of Base?

Ghost1Bravo

• 2 weeks later...

Build an enclosed wall of wood shacks, with just enough space inside for a shed and a chopper. Others won't be able to walk in, drive in, or land inside. I guess it's the poor man's version of a safety dome  :lol:

Build an enclosed wall of wood shacks, with just enough space inside for a shed and a chopper. Others won't be able to walk in, drive in, or land inside. I guess it's the poor man's version of a safety dome  :lol:

How would that work? The player would still need to get in an out and that access would allow thieves in and out too. The access would need to be secured somehow and so far as i can tell that isnt possible in Epoch. Right?

How would that work? The player would still need to get in an out and that access would allow thieves in and out too. The access would need to be secured somehow and so far as i can tell that isnt possible in Epoch. Right?

Yeah..ironically, your base would only be safe when you're offline and the chopper parked inside blocking landing access. If you're out and about while playing, any other player could do the same and just fly/land in there.

Yea, this is a big sticking point for me with an otherwise awesome mod. I have been hit a few times now in the private server i play on and lost alot of work. Luckily the last time i had aquired a safe so i didnt loose everything but i still lost vehicles, supplies, and a helo. I had bought the vehicle so the thieves blew it up vice steal it. Real nice guys i tell ya. If it was in a lockable building then at least it would have slowed them down some. Even more so if it was in a gated (locked) compound and in a locked garage, right? At least it would have been a very hard target so they might have gone on to easier pickings. this second go around almost made me quit playing too. the whole waste my time scavenging just to have some jackhole steal it cause he is too lazy to do the work himself or herself. I know someone will say something about hiding it in the woods but that only goes so far. Besides with the right video settings and a helo the hiding in a forest becomes useless as you can see everything and there is no hiding then.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, this is a big sticking point for me with an otherwise awesome mod. I have been hit a few times now in the private server i play on and lost alot of work. Luckily the last time i had aquired a safe so i didnt loose everything but i still lost vehicles, supplies, and a helo. I had bought the vehicle so the thieves blew it up vice steal it. Real nice guys i tell ya. If it was in a lockable building then at least it would have slowed them down some. Even more so if it was in a gated (locked) compound and in a locked garage, right? At least it would have been a very hard target so they might have gone on to easier pickings. this second go around almost made me quit playing too. the whole waste my time scavenging just to have some jackhole steal it cause he is too lazy to do the work himself or herself. I know someone will say something about hiding it in the woods but that only goes so far. Besides with the right video settings and a helo the hiding in a forest becomes useless as you can see everything and there is no hiding then.

You are more than welcome to play on our server jj

"Headhunters Epoch"

We are a small group of good natured players and always have an active admin only. I also backup the database nightly. So if something like this happened to any of our players I could do a restore. I agree, losing days of hard work due to someone simply looking to abuse game mechanics and grieve is not cool.

I've been strongly against the "Iron Domes" since I found out about them.  I'll not go into detail as to HOW I found out about them :/ 
Much like most heavy modifications that ruin immersion, safe zones & kill zones to name a few... but they quite simply are not balanced.
Not to mention the overhead 'hands-on' maintenance that they require...this iron dome horseshit has had me in uproar numerous times. 

Luckily enough...we've developed a system that should be self contained, player driven and more than anything else....BALANCED.   We have added ways for you to protect your assets, fortify your base and allow
you to expand however you'd like....if you have the materials to do so.   We've lifted some requirements to create a less demanding and more inviting system to breathe life back into the base-building and crafting system.

Batten down the hatches, shit's about to get serious folks.

I understand your immersion lost effect with the dome's...

but after having someone/something basically just destroy a base that had taken me a few weeks to build and equip...the amount of gametime that I lost/was ruined was significant.. and thats something that's becoming harder for me to get... so I accepted the fact that the iron dome/ protected camps were becoming a part of it... almost like another mod..(sorta)..

If even I could build/get one of those big blue door Industrials....that could be locked down via keypad.. with something like a roof door as well...

I'd be as happy as a pig in shit... for prob the next 6mths... tbh

I'm also not realy fond of these Iron Domes to be honest.

I actually made a Camp in a circle with baricades, wires and big sandbags and it had a few bushes there too so i just let it a bit open there where the bush was! you had to get down and crouch inside and it was realy very hard to see also i made a lot of these camo nets. i asked a few players to come by and try to get in nobody managed except for one. Well it's not the most secure thing but it realy helps quiet a lot and since mostly the crowbar breaks when you try to decunstruct something they can't just make a hole in my wall! Also i bought 3 Safes where i keep gold, weapons and the most important other things. in a shed i keep medical loot, food, drinks and some repair stuff! put the camp somwhere where nobody thinks it could be! with this i mean put it not in the north on a hill or in a forest! make it arround a small village in the south! For example i have mine a bit south from pusta on the field! it's so rare that somebody goes there! and also from the air it's not realy visibl good because there are a few trees on the field wich make my house disappear!

This is not 100% security but for me it worked realy well till now and i'm playing on the current server since about 6 weeks on a server where there are mostly about 12-17 players! Never did anything get stolen or i got killed!

At this point i'm sorry for my english mistakes!

Thank you

I understand your immersion lost effect with the dome's...

but after having someone/something basically just destroy a base that had taken me a few weeks to build and equip...the amount of gametime that I lost/was ruined was significant.. and thats something that's becoming harder for me to get... so I accepted the fact that the iron dome/ protected camps were becoming a part of it... almost like another mod..(sorta)..

If even I could build/get one of those big blue door Industrials....that could be locked down via keypad.. with something like a roof door as well...

I'd be as happy as a pig in shit... for prob the next 6mths... tbh

You clearly didn't read my post.  Or perhaps just didn't infer what I was stating.

I will never, nor should anyone ever employ 100% security for assets within this game on a public or competitive server.  You want a pve only RP server?

Fine, do what you like there...but welcomed outsiders to a hostile or dangerous server should not be subjected to such an unfair and game breaking advantage.

I think you should read the patch notes.

I understand completely about the domes, but I think it is a bit extreme. The current system (not tested latest modular build) of Epoch meant base building was pointless. 

A base shouldn't be impregnable and should be able to be defeated but allowing people to destroy components when a person is offline is not good, essentially people will just not bother playing at all. We run the base building mod, have lockable gates and safes but it still doesn't mean you are safe. Even without mods such as heli fast rope, players can still be killed inside their base and their loot stolen. 

The immersion factor doesn't count, the real life advocates don't count, as in real life people don't disappear and then re-appear nor do they magically show up on a player list. 

I presume you mean trader safe zones, they are required I'm afraid. On a busy, PvP server there would be no point use any trader. Especially since you conveniently placed them all in silly places, with all traders beside each other out in the open (Chernarus). 

Even on a relatively quiet server, all I would have to do is camp Stary and never really leave for anything I want. 

I understand completely about the domes, but I think it is a bit extreme. The current system (not tested latest modular build) of Epoch meant base building was pointless.

No it's not. Base building allows you to create a system of organization for your base, such as vehicles and loot. You can use vaults and lock boxes to keep some of your loot safe.

A base shouldn't be impregnable and should be able to be defeated but allowing people to destroy components when a person is offline is not good, essentially people will just not bother playing at all. We run the base building mod, have lockable gates and safes but it still doesn't mean you are safe. Even without mods such as heli fast rope, players can still be killed inside their base and their loot stolen.

That's the game of DayZ, and I bet you that is what will happen in other games (refer to: Rust, WarZ, Wasteland........)

The point is to make it a balanced system. Oh, yes, people can steal when you're offline, but wouldn't you? A lot of people who whine about admin abuse, or whine about getting their base looted will probably loot other people's bases when they're offline, and abuse admin tools installed on that server (teleport, spawn, esp, etc) if they had the chance to.

The immersion factor doesn't count, the real life advocates don't count, as in real life people don't disappear and then re-appear nor do they magically show up on a player list.

May I refer you to the following page: Video Game

Arma is a military simulator. DayZ is built upon a simulator. DayZ was meant, originally, to immerse a player into a zombie-filled post-apocalyptic world. Now we're just spoiled with all the hootin' tootin' base-protection mods and all this loot we're able to gather with one run to a town.

You're not entitled to anything when it's not "immersive" or "the real life", as the game is mapped out by a developer, and if it's able to be modified by server owners and players, then so be it.

I presume you mean trader safe zones, they are required I'm afraid. On a busy, PvP server there would be no point use any trader. Especially since you conveniently placed them all in silly places, with all traders beside each other out in the open (Chernarus).

Even on a relatively quiet server, all I would have to do is camp Stary and never really leave for anything I want.

SPOILER ALERT:

You can edit the mission.sqf file located in the missions.pbo and change the trader locations and how the trader cities are built.

First, let me say, im not really a gamer, I like to play but get bored quick and don't generally stick with a game longer than a month. DayZ was a bit different as I started coding in it, so still don't play much...

If its not work, its coding for something, so i don't get on my server much at all. But I do like to play.

I'm sure a lot of people who play DayZ, that are more casual, player a few hours every few days. 

So what do i do if I want to experience the base building, etc but can only physical get online once every few days and simple can't keep much safe?

1. Devote more time to the game, ignore real life things like work? (well the internet would run out if i did that).
  2. Team up with a people/clan? (Clans want people to play a lot... maybe a worker but who do you trust...).
  3. People say get a safe but surely if my tent keep getting robbed, what can i do? A safe is expensive and requires to build up and store the required currency.

I do NOT have any player exclusive zone on my server at all! And will never have them but i do feel these issues need discussing.

One idea i had, was for a bank trader to store/save enough gold for a safe and no more...

Realistically, you have to be online 100% of the time to protect your assets. People will probably say "What wrong with this, it would happen in RL" and I say "It's a game and people have real life shit to do"

Another thing is the whole timezone thing, English people get on, do stuff, go to bed and the Americans come online and mess stuff up...

Personally, I don't know if/what the solution to this is...

-snip-

So what do i do if I want to experience the base building, etc but can only physical get online once every few days and simple can't keep much safe?

-snip-

One idea i had, was for a bank trader to store/save enough gold for a safe and no more...

-snip-

Personally, I don't know if/what the solution to this is...

I see your points. I usually have a few buddies who come on in the morning and help with upkeep.

Generally, I'm the all-known hero of the server, so I do not get my base attacked.

One idea I have is personal AI that you can place in certain areas of the base when you are not online, and you can pay for this at a trader. The issue with this, obviously, may be the lag and/or glitchy movement of the AI.

I am supporting the banker idea.

Having a RL of my own (fulltime work, wife, house, dogs, horses, ... ;-) I'd like to lend some support here.

I have collected the money for my first safe only through early-morning-only farming and/or association to the most effective bandit clan on the server ;-)

A rather cheap option to keep your loot safe is to use BaseBuilding (if available on the server) to wall off a barn and pitch your storage tent there.

Also, didn't I read that diggable hidey-holes had been introduced to DayZ? Perhaps Epoch can have those, too, they might be more effectively hidden than tents.

@Kind-Sir: do you have a whitelisted server? Because I don't see how being well known to the regulars can protect you from the vandal nomads who come at night and wreak havoc...