Players on your server!

SadBoy1981

• 2 months later...

There is a lot of pride involved with hosting a server, for example, I take pride in the fact that I was involved to some extent in the ZOMBIES.NU-community. I take pride in that we ran a pretty successful ARMA2 Epoch-server. I also take pride in the fact that me and Yarwood started up an entirely new brand and made it mean something to the very loyal (albeit small) player base we do have. 

But pride is what keeps people like me from merging/amalgating with others, because they are like we are; they built a brand and a set of ideas and don't want to lose them. Also the countless hours you spend on tweaking, fixing, testing, reporting, and so on is tied into it all, and it would "feel" like starting over.

So stubbornly we stick to it. That's my reason. And like anybody know who have done this, the many issues in ARMA, missed semicolons or commas in arrays, or BattlEye-filters, or pesky glitchers, that having more people doing the same thing, helping each other is probably a big factor in what would make it more fun for all. I have a vision of what I want Epoch to be, Yarwood is on the same level, and so we stick to it. Perhaps our idea is what keeps the player base away, that what we want isn't what they/you want. But stubborn pride prevents us from (for example) make things easier.

Well, prevents me, to be honest.

I don't know why people stress out about player populations I run my server for myself and friends so we can play together if anyone else comes in then that is fine but as far as I am concerned I put the money and time into maintaining it so it is there for my benefit.

If you happen to somehow accrue more players it inevitably makes more work for you and there is no financial gain so what is the point, gamers have a myriad of choices to choose from so players will always be transient whatever the game and it is unlikely that player bases will ever be high so  if you except this then you won't be dissapointed.

Just my 2 cents.

I run my server the way I enjoy it, I'm there to play and help when I need to, best part my players understand this. I recently had another server operator jump on steal my mission file and have the balls to jump on my TS and ask for help with it even asking for my deploy server side which I declined but I tried to help him out best I could. They now run a successful server but still wrong the way they went about it. I agree to do it for yourself and if more come and join that's always good.

too many server owners too many choices, when I am bored and want to play any arma mod i just search for high populated servers, but I play very very limited now, all my group that I played A2 with left to play other games, I too find myself either messing on my test server or playing KOTH.

For some reason and this is bizarre every players on epoch that I know, knows there are not enough players so they don't bother joining small populated servers, or just play other more fast paced A3 mods; however this is not hitting home with new server owners for some reason, the honest truth is that there are far less enough players than there was in A2 ! that might change with future releases, but what I noticed there are not even interested in trying it out when new release is out! 

I caught up with members of two clans that played regularly on my A2 server back in the day and they told me they wont play epoch because there are no zombies in it; they are mostly waiting on Dayz SA or play other mods.

too many server owners too many choices, when I am bored and want to play any arma mod i just search for high populated servers, but I play very very limited now, all my group that I played A2 with left to play other games, I too find myself either messing on my test server or playing KOTH.

For some reason and this is bizarre every players on epoch that I know, knows there are not enough players so they don't bother joining small populated servers, or just play other more fast paced A3 mods; however this is not hitting home with new server owners for some reason, the honest truth is that there are far less enough players than there was in A2 ! that might change with future releases, but what I noticed there are not even interested in trying it out when new release is out! 

I caught up with members of two clans that played regularly on my A2 server back in the day and they told me they wont play epoch because there are no zombies in it; they are mostly waiting on Dayz SA or play other mods.

I see so many comparisons in the forums between A2 Epoch and A3 Epoch .

A2 Epoch is a mod of a successful mod that already had antagonists and was proven- Dayz

A3 Epoch is the mod - it needs it's own fan base , It doesn't have it yet , simple !

My 2 cents , having a server wipe for 3.0 isn't bad in my opinion , It may help some servers , People don't like leaving a server they have grown tired of , whatever the reason , they have too much "time" invested . With a wipe they can find a new home with nothing to lose . Being part of a gaming community with a lot of players doesn't hurt either :P

True I left a server I played a lot on. The wipe gave me a reason to leave as I didn't like the admins or how they acted when they finally got a player base.

If Darth or the other fella made a taviana or namalsk server... Especially darth I bet it would be a top 100 server.

True I left a server I played a lot on. The wipe gave me a reason to leave as I didn't like the admins or how they acted when they finally got a player base.

If Darth or the other fella made a taviana or namalsk server... Especially darth I bet it would be a top 100 server.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!  lol!  Our Bornholm server is movin' on up like Georgia Wheezy!  :D  Got even more exciting things coming soon.  

I don't know what the problem is with getting people on a server. We just have good admins who don't abuse their privileges. We've tweaked some of the basic settings and added a few extra scripts to make things a bit more interesting.

The one thing I keep hearing from the new people who come to our server is how much better our admins are than the ones they came from. Admins should not be creating safe zones around their player bases and admin killing anyone who dares to come near. (For example)

I agree but if they choose to run their server that way it's their choice but think of it this way thats more players leaving servers like that to find better ones. So please continue to abuse your admin powers

hey dont be mad atleast you are not getting ddos out the ass like me ha ha server will be back up soon with even higher ddos protection some people just have no life but i will keep on trucking because who ever is doing this will not win

Good you deserve it for all the help you give here! Sadly I don't like Bornholm so I'll hold out hope you tackle Namalsk :D

I would love to get namalsk going, well i can.. i just need someone with terrain experience to help fix it... or i might just do it another way, the other way is to hide objects but there are objects that need replacing ! ,,, patch it up way! which i am avoiding so far.... anyone who can remove/ replace map objects please get in touch :-)