What are your thoughts so far on the arma 3 epoch mod?

Nick Collins

I would to start with thanking the dev's for making such an awesome mod that is so enjoyable.

Oke so my thought so far is that the mod is very playable and alot of fun to play but the things i miss are the AI mission that you had on arma 2 epoch mod.
The shipping container and epicenters are good idea's but it would be fun if the AI where atleast defending it or patrolling in the area so a fresh spawn can't just randomly walk towards a shipping container and loot it.

Its a survival mod and it should be a challange, the only threats are the other players at the moment.
I don't know the whole story about the mod, only what is provided to me on the epochmod front page.
But their was a mass extinction of billions of people, and its happening around 2035 so i would love to see new techno guns or new stuff like the multi gun.

The epochmod at the moment for me feels like  its alot of fun to play but after 1 month of playing on them i found that you have alot of people who just like to ruin all your hard work that you have earned.
I play in a group of 3 and we had a small base setup somewhere with alot of different equipement, we could've atleast survived for days over there and then the next day you come home from work and then you see that all your shit has been taken away by people who glitched inside your base.

So what are your thoughts so far on the epochmod.

aaaaah...that centered text! :D

So my thoughts...

It has much less bugs than expected for a mod thats still in Alpha state. Thats one thing i really like.

AI-Missions are definatly cool and I'd like to see them in some further releases, aswell as AI patroling shipping containers. Maybe a squad of 5 or so. And you only have access to the shipping container, when all AI's got killed. Wich means it will be something like an AI-mission too :D

In terms of Sci-Fi weapons....i don't know. I personally like real existing weapons. So maybe some type of weapons, thats futuristic but not too impossible to build in real, if that sorta makes sense^^ Some more futuristic optics would be cool maybe.

I'd like to see some craftable weapons, like bow and arrow or a crossbow, wich you can craft using wood, hemp and some kind of stone or metal. Just imagine: you step into a world, with nothing and have to survive. So what would bear grylls do? :D

Some kind of trap to catch animals would also be cool as a crafting item.

that are my thoughts so far...

Cheers

I am very very impressed with the stability off the mod. I have yet to die of a glitch, no bugs that I have noticed so far.

I also love all the ideas they have like: stamina/fatigue, being soiled/wet, energy as resource and so on.

The mod is definitely missing content at the moment which is absolutely expected at this stage in development. It currently feels like Vanilla DayZ with modular building but without zombies (which is cool, I enjoy the rare Sapper/Cultist encounters a lot more than these horrible annoying DayZ zeds).

The devs are doing a fantastic job, very stable game, content will follow, I can't wait for the server to be available to the public so that communities can start contributing to what I expect will be the only game I play in 2015 :)

I'd like to see some craftable weapons, like bow and arrow or a crossbow, wich you can craft using wood, hemp and some kind of stone or metal. Just imagine: you step into a world, with nothing and have to survive. So what would bear grylls do? :D

Some kind of trap to catch animals would also be cool as a crafting item.

that are my thoughts so far...

Cheers

That's DayZ bore-alone stuff, and I'd be surprised if many of their players bother with shit like that.

I play in a group of 3 and we had a small base setup somewhere with alot of different equipement, we could've atleast survived for days over there and then the next day you come home from work and then you see that all your shit has been taken away by people who glitched inside your base.

So what are your thoughts so far on the epochmod.

You guys should look at techniques for your base to protect your stuff better.

Morphing through walls is nothing new.

the things i miss are the AI mission that you had on arma 2 epoch mod.

The shipping container and epicenters are good idea's but it would be fun if the AI where atleast defending it or patrolling in the area so a fresh spawn can't just randomly walk towards a shipping container and loot it.

I hate bog standard ARMA AI with guns. The missions most people added to DayZ Epoch were also rather annoying. Missions are basically good for low pop or PVE servers and PVE removes half the point of a survival mod. Don't get me wrong I don't like to run around PVPing people like crazy, but I like to interact with them and that sometimes means gunfire. With AI there is always a best way to deal with them and that is at ranges that they don't fight back. You snipe them all dead and walk away with their stuff. 

Now we need AI, but not "I'm like a player." AI because either they are far to easy or they are far to accurate and finding a good balance is hard to do. With the other antagonists in the game they can tweak the numbers and do things like increase the health drain, or how fast you take poison damage but a pistol shot to the head means you are dead in most cases. So AI with guns end up either boring or deadly.

Missions were basically ways to earn a crapton of money/gear/vehicles with minimal effort. Very few servers set them up with a proper risk/reward level.

Besides, there is NOTHING wrong with a freshspawn stumbling onto a shipping container.

That's DayZ bore-alone stuff, and I'd be surprised if many of their players bother with shit like that.

A lot do. I will always craft backpacks for a character. They have very nice profile/visibility ratio to amount they hold. Bows are not easy to use but they do solid damage for a silent weapon and noise is usually a bad thing. The number of people I have killed in DayZ because I got the drop on them from them "announcing" their presence in an area by shooting a zombie with a loud rifle is incredible.  I've also crafted bolts for crossbows until I had a good solid rifle and wandered around killing zombies left and right without alerting groups of them or other players. 

The cooking crafting works well and the medical crafting is an excellent thing. Syringe and anti-biotics is a good thing as is some rags and sticks to make a quick splint for a broken limb. No more crawling for miles on end to find morphine, you tear up a t-shirt and scrounge around in the woods for some sticks and you are good to go. 

I play Epoch and DayZ SA because they both have aspects I like and the systems in SA that have you interact with objects you can pick up are a great thing. I like taking a simple Mosin and spray painting it a couple times to make it camo. Find a bright blue UN helmet? Well it's not trash since you can spray it green or black and it won't stick out asking for someone to shoot you in the head. 

A3 Epoch is off to an EXCELLENT start... Give it some time to add in/change things, tweak it and it is going to bury Stand alone.

Rhinobucket already did a comparison and clearly indicated to get A3 instead of standalone  ... and he's totally right.

We should have some patience.. these guys are doing awesome and it's just going to get better.