Discussion about Epoch Mod Information Update

vbawol

This was originally posted in response to a question made by a forum member:

Post here with any questions you have and I will do my best to answer them.

first of all I'd like to say thanks for all the hard work.

I know you guys said you were going to limit server hosting to select few applicants.  I am concerned that you guys will go the route of only GSP hosting.  I really love epoch and I want to continue hosting in the future but it scares me with the way most mods are going exclusive GSP these days.

I know that making a mod is a thankless job with little to no monetary compensation on your part but please please do not go the gp/breaking point/standalone route of having GSP exclusive hosting.

Thanks

Is the application for the testing only going to be for big server providers or can anyone apply?  Just getting clarification : )

Edit: you beat me Hambeast! lol

Anyone will be able to apply, this is just so we can ensure quality and that everyone is doing the right thing. More information will be announced about the application process as we get closer to 0.5.

first of all I'd like to say thanks for all the hard work.

I know you guys said you were going to limit server hosting to select few applicants.  I am concerned that you guys will go the route of only GSP hosting.  I really love epoch and I want to continue hosting in the future but it scares me with the way most mods are going exclusive GSP these days.

I know that making a mod is a thankless job with little to no monetary compensation on your part but please please do not go the gp/breaking point/standalone route of having GSP exclusive hosting.

Thanks

We are not making it GSP exclusive and anyone with a dedicated server will be able to apply to host a server after we reach 0.5. GSP customers will have limited access to files at first as we will not be able to make everyone of their customers agree to our terms.

We are not making it GSP exclusive and anyone with a dedicated server will be able to apply to host a server after we reach 0.5. GSP customers will have limited access to files at first as we will not be able to make everyone of their customers agree to our terms.

will be submitting an app for this as soon as its ready.  Thanks for the quick reply vbawol!

Keeping it vanilla is a great way to start out till its stable!

Keep up the great work you guys are doing!

Just watch out on the time frame! Two years is a long time! Arma 4 would be out by then! LOL

Anyways how can I apply for the whitelisted players! 

My clan has 24 members strong and looking for a new mod to play and have 110 followers!

Thanks

{TR} DLLKillem

You say more informations as we get closer to 0.5. To add a relation, where are we right now? I guess 0.1 will be the first version people will be allowed to play. So we are before 0.1. Stuff takes time which is ok, but I would assume 0.5 will not be here before the end of the year right. Can you share any time information related to your roadmap? I am not talking about "in 24 days you will...." or "in the beginning of august you will...". I am talking more about "0.1 will be released soon and 0.5. is to expect in the beginning of 2015" stuff.

Can you share any information like that?

I am very surprised that you ended limiting open alpha. I am afraid history have shown us that doing so mostly leads to the mod dying out before it becomes open for lack of variety.

I do hope you will make the exception though, so lets all try to be positive about it. 

I must admit i was disappointed but can also see why the devs are doing this, so many threads about broken features turn out to be caused by server admins wrongly setting up scripts or addons.

I myself done it, a wrongly installed debug monitor broke the build options, granted i was new to Epoch but a simple change broke a major feature, to rule this out they've made the decision to limit the release, we just have to live with it or play something else.

Wonder if the overall server quality would increase, if they would forbid GSPs to run their Mod. Most of the time I see broken stuff on Nitrado and co servers. Never been on a server that was running on a dedicated machine, setup by the owner himself and maintained by him. It's just a bigger step for server owner wannabees. Knowledge and skill would be more important than money. Everyone can pay 40 bucks and call them self an admin. Seeing 4000 Epoch servers in DZC, knowing that their are maybe 12000 Epoch Mod players left scares the shit out of me. I guess 95% of these servers run on virtual machines of GSPs.

I don't think it would increase. Without access to file = no custom antihack, or other tools that can help administrators do their job. And seriously, one of the main reason Epoch is so popular is the variety on servers. And why would a big community go all in with a server they can't customize slightly to reflect their communities style? 

While I see some positive things in this approach in the short run, I personally think an extended time with limited hosting access would kill the interest. 

Again, we can only embrace it, so I am not going to fuzz any more about it for now :P

Edited by andret

I don't think it would increase. Without access to file = no custom antihack, or other tools that can help administrators do their job. And seriously, one of the main reason Epoch is so popular is the variety on servers. And why would a big community go all in with a server they can't customize slightly to reflect their communities style? 

While I see some positive things in this approach in the short run, I personally think an extended time with limited hosting access would kill the interest. 

Again, we can only embrace it, so I am not going to fuzz any more about it for now :P

kinda this...sadly i alrdy see this going rout of other mods that did same and died out fast. they limited the files or didnt allow people change server and it killed mods off very fast.

me/hubby/others were waiting on a3 now this was just like a slap in face like breaking point pulled and told everyone on their forums to go fuck theirselfs.. i can see a3 epochs just going underground rout &  not lasting. thankfully theres still some other mods with same as epoch in Works.

so enless devs plan to add shit tons options youcan off/on switch i dont see it working out very well. thing is the whole scripting made epoch servers & mod more fun. and just downright entertaining i played vanilla awhile. almost no servers exist for it anymore for good reasons. theres not really much into it other then farm town a or b and unload at traders.

This was originally posted in response to a question made by a forum member:

Post here with any questions you have and I will do my best to answer them.

Awesome! Thanks for giving this its own thread, I know this was on the minds of a lot of us.

kinda this...sadly i alrdy see this going rout of other mods that did same and died out fast. they limited the files or didnt allow people change server and it killed mods off very fast.

me/hubby/others were waiting on a3 now this was just like a slap in face like breaking point pulled and told everyone on their forums to go fuck theirselfs.. i can see a3 epochs just going underground rout &  not lasting. thankfully theres still some other mods with same as epoch in Works.

so enless devs plan to add shit tons options youcan off/on switch i dont see it working out very well. thing is the whole scripting made epoch servers & mod more fun. and just downright entertaining i played vanilla awhile. almost no servers exist for it anymore for good reasons. theres not really much into it other then farm town a or b and unload at traders.

Wow, I have a completely different perspective. If the devs open this up too soon for people to start tearing into it and changing/customizing files all it leads to is every server owner trying to make their server unique, this in turn means that Epoch itself has no clear identity, which in turn makes it very difficult to improve/develop the core mod (default A3 Epoch) that is the foundation of every modified server out there.

Why is this? Because every player/server owner starts posting up complaining/asking for assistance/giving feedback based specifically on their server/the server they play on. Something that the developers cannot possibly work to fix or improve upon due the the sheer amount of verity of modded servers and their features along with the different technical issues born from them.

They need to keep it relatively 'In House' to start with so that we have a good quality, stable, and enjoyable 'core' game to play. With all the features that make it... well, Epoch, fully functioning and ready for use. It shouldn't be a case of: "Okay, they released the files, time to make my own mod". They are putting all this time and effort in to give what we all want Epoch A3 to be, instead of a box of bohemia branded lego with a loose set of instructions. Try to remember that it is these guys who have made the most popular dayz mod, who have listened to all we have said and fed it right back to us through patches and content updates, and who are trouncing the competition in the "Make ArmA not War" contest despite being relatively new to the ArmA modding scene. They are likely to know a lot more than one person and their sever of 50 players. Try to remember these guys don't owe you anything, it is if anything the other way round. They have received no payment for all this work bar that they have received from those of us who truly understand their efforts and are able to donate, yet have still poured 100% into it's development.

To sum up:

Hold onto your panties and let them do what they have been doing a pretty damn good job of so far. When it is ready, it is ready, and you will enjoy it. What you do with it from there is up to you. 

I'm really sad to see Epoch goint this way. However i think i understand why this is happening. The only problem i see about this, is that DayZ Epoch is dying due to Poeple dont want to play Arma2 anymore because the Arma 3 engine is much better.

Sure the overall quality of the servers will raise, because there is no possibility to change the files, but i'm affraid, that this will also cause many capable scripters to leave and search for another challenges.

Thanks everyone for expressing your concerns, you need not worry. We do understand what helped make and keep Arma 2 Epoch popular and one of the main reasons is freedom to do what you want. Another reason is that we simply added more to do.

Most do not seem to know this but we did the same type of limited release with whitelist only access with "DayZ Epoch" before it was rushed to 1.0.

Now we have an actual team the scope of the A3 Epoch project is huge and will take some time to get it to a state that is not constantly changing.

This seems like the best idea. Since this way, epoch can roll our updates whenever. But with A2E epoch lost their mind when epoch 1.0.5.1 was rolled out the next day to 1.0.5. I check the githut, so i knew only a rtm file was changed. So i just used the new patch without having to redo and of the custom script that were already done for 1.0.5. But anyways. This will allow more development. Luckily its not like Standalone, which took 3 MONTHS to add a AK.

yeah lol, and an AK which was in all the initial testing and development too haha. I think it was actually the first ranged weapons they included in the very early closed testing.