[Release] - A Plot for life v2.5. Keep your buildables on death. Take plot ownership

you can do whatever you want to dayz_server.pbo. It won't affect bikeys or signing of the files.

Thanks for the clarification Cen.

So without going through the whole thread, mind if I ask which files I need to update to go from 2.24 to 2.31?

Everything in the download is different to the previous versions.  The main reason being that this is built for inclusion in the Epoch base code and therefore, after installed it can be turned on or off (i.e. use characterID or SteamID for assessing ownership).  This means any ownership checks have to take in to account whether it is turned on or off.

On the plus side, even if turned off, it still saves the SteamID in the worldspace variable so if later turned on the ownerships will work on older built items and there is a take ownership option to align old bases built before A Plot for Life v2+ was installed to the new ownership system (with some exclusions which can be user configured).

Version 2.32 released

• Added the rest of the modular build framework files to make it easier for everyone to install (thumbs up to Raymix for putting it together and giving permission for it to be included).
  • Amended the install instructions.

Links to the dropbox and github files updated in the first post.

If you found and installed the modular build files then you probably do not need to change to 2.32.

Ok so if I have it installed and working already then probably no real need to update it? Like no new features?

" there is a take ownership option to align old bases built before A Plot for Life v2+ was installed to the new ownership system (with some exclusions which can be user configured)."

There is also the plot boundary on and off plot pole option with lighted road cones to help building in the dark.

The take ownership is the big one though which can be used to align historical bases to the A Plot for Life ownership system but can also be used by raiders to take control of raided bases etc.  It is activated by a variable in the init.sqf so can be turned off as well.

" there is a take ownership option to align old bases built before A Plot for Life v2+ was installed to the new ownership system (with some exclusions which can be user configured)."

There is also the plot boundary on and off plot pole option with lighted road cones to help building in the dark.

The take ownership is the big one though which can be used to align historical bases to the A Plot for Life ownership system but can also be used by raiders to take control of raided bases etc.  It is activated by a variable in the init.sqf so can be turned off as well.

Sounds like a good feature for servers that haven't got it and are putting it in, I put it in from the launch of our server, taking over bases isn't a feature I want on my server. So I should be good to run with it as it is.

I'm awaiting the official launch of A3 Epoch to create an A3 Epoch server, will 2.3x be standard as a part of that now?

so i downloaded the 2.3.2 rar and it only comes with 3 folders Action, Compile and Init.

my server is as close to a vanila install as it can get cuz i only switched to cfg traders and installed WAI and DZMS. can someone explain me how to install this and then install snap build pro in a really simple tutorial?? cuz these instructions on the txt file are kinda vague for me and i'm very new to all this coding stuff and installing mods :S

Thanks again for the answers Rim and Cen, I don't think any of us would even have the vague understanding we do without you guys and a few other community leaders around here.

Now Rim when you say:

"I personally keep all my server side stuff in the servers "custom" folder as it gives me easy access to modify if needed and it is not sent to the client." 

Do you mean a custom folder within MPMSSIONS, or one like what you had us create with version 2.31 in the main directory?

Thanks again for the answers Rim and Cen, I don't think any of us would even have the vague understanding we do without you guys and a few other community leaders around here.

Now Rim when you say:

"I personally keep all my server side stuff in the servers "custom" folder as it gives me easy access to modify if needed and it is not sent to the client." 

Do you mean a custom folder within MPMSSIONS, or one like what you had us create with version 2.31 in the main directory?

He means in the root of the directory. You should have 2 custom folders, one serverside and one client side. The server file one will look like this.

@Hive

@DayZ_Epoch

instance_MAP

MPMissions

Custom/Server Side Folders

The Client side one will be in MPMission/Custom/A_Plot_for_Life/

aw crap I didn't know that, apparently I have been overloading my players with crap they didn't need :angry: .

How do you properly path to that folder though, is there an appendage like the pbo's? (z\etc..?)

thanks paddy

################# EDIT - I KILLED IT :( ########################

I really thought I understood all this better but I guess not. I've done a completely standard installation and followed the instructions exactly. For all that effort however I'm missing something crucial as playerID is not added to the worldspace field when an object is built and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

Now one thing that caught my eye is that with this new version it seems there is no necessary call or compile in init.sqf or elsewhere to activate the files included. I assume this is because of the new DZE_"" config options added to init.sqf.

My guess is that P4l isnt being loaded properly, or at all but I don't know why. As I said I followed the instructions to the T this time, but there is something missing I am just not seeing.

UPDATE:

So I basically just ignored the install instructions and did what best made sense. I believe everything should be working but I'm being held up by one error:

Error in expression <0,0]};
_thingy = _this select 0;
_pos = getPosASL _thingy;
if !(surfaceIsWater _>
  Error position: <getPosASL _thingy;
if !(surfaceIsWater _>
  Error getposasl: Type Array, expected Object
File mpmissions\__CUR_MP.Napf\custom\A_Plot_for_Life\init\compiles.sqf, line 582

The server boots fine and when I go to build I get an object preview image, but I have no controls of the object and cannot cancel the building action. The error in questions is within the FNC_getpos function but I personally don't see anything wrong. I included it for quick reference.

FNC_GetPos = {
        private "_pos";
        if (isNil {_this select 0}) exitWith {[0,0,0]};
        if !(surfaceIsWater _pos) then {
            _pos =  ASLToATL _pos;
        };
        _pos
    };

Edit, Reverted to 2.2 :P 2.3 Giving me a headache lol

Hi Paddy,

Which part is giving you a headache ?.

He means in the root of the directory. You should have 2 custom folders, one serverside and one client side.

Exactly.

I really thought I understood all this better but I guess not. I've done a completely standard installation and followed the instructions exactly. For all that effort however I'm missing something crucial as playerID is not added to the worldspace field when an object is built and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

Now one thing that caught my eye is that with this new version it seems there is no necessary call or compile in init.sqf or elsewhere to activate the files included. I assume this is because of the new DZE_"" config options added to init.sqf.

My guess is that P4l isnt being loaded properly, or at all but I don't know why. As I said I followed the instructions to the T this time, but there is something missing I am just not seeing.

UPDATE:

So I basically just ignored the install instructions and did what best made sense. I believe everything should be working but I'm being held up by one error:

Error in expression <0,0]};
if !(surfaceIsWater _>
  Error position: <getPosASL _thingy;
if !(surfaceIsWater _>
  Error getposasl: Type Array, expected Object
File mpmissions\__CUR_MP.Napf\custom\A_Plot_for_Life\init\compiles.sqf, line 582

The server boots fine and when I go to build I get an object preview image, but I have no controls of the object and cannot cancel the building action. The error in questions is within the FNC_getpos function but I personally don't see anything wrong. I included it for quick reference.

Nope, you are correct (my bad).  That is what comes from spending too many hours coding....  I didn't list how to link the mod in to the missions init.sqf.

Instructions for linking in to your mission (will also add to the first post and to the install instructions in the download later today).

Open your mpmissions/[map]/init.sqf file

Search for

call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_code\init\variables.sqf";

Replace with

call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "Custom\A_Plot_for_Life\init\variables.sqf";

Search for

call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_code\init\publicEH.sqf";

Replace with

call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "Custom\A_Plot_for_Life\init\publicEH.sqf";

Search for

call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_code\init\compiles.sqf";

Replace with

call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "Custom\A_Plot_for_Life\init\compiles.sqf";

Search for

_serverMonitor =  [] execVM "\z\addons\dayz_code\system\server_monitor.sqf";

Replace with (you may need to change this depending on where you put the server files).

_serverMonitor =  [] execVM "custom\system\server_monitor.sqf";

Dont forget to set the two variables in the init.sqf as well to turn the features on as they are set to off by default.

Turn on A plot for Life (check ownership against SteamID).

DZE_APlotforLife = true;

Turn on Take Plot Ownership.

DZE_PlotOwnership = true;

After installing the rest of the Snap Build Pro files.

Turn on Snap Build Pro and the modular player build framework.

DZE_modularBuild = true;

Hi Rimblock,

installed only admintools and your mod (not snapzpro), following the instructions step by step,

but i cant place a plotpole (default with spacebar), nothing happens and you cant abort it.

goin out of radius didnt help either.

( also in your 2.3.2 github download files are missing (typo in version/description -  says its 1.3.2)).

any idea how to fix it?

greetings ryker

EDIT 1:

DZE_modularBuild = false;

sorry - turning true to false will fix  the described error above.

EDIT 2:

Using admintools and temp vehicles, you will be killed by an explosion when starting the engine.

doenst happen when you ll use permanent vehicles or the default spawned ones.

Yep, thanks for the spot.  Will change the version number in the description on the next commit.  It does not make any actual difference.

Edit 1: Yep, only put that in if you have Snap Build Pro also installed.

Edit 2: Sorry, really don't know admin tools so cannot help there.

OK cool, I'm not nearly as crazy as I thought B). I just kept staring at your files like " You WILL make sense to me NOW!" and the I just started winging it. Thankfully Ryker's last post showed me something is wrong with my snap pro install after setting modularbuild to false and everything went back to normal.

That in itself is a little weird though because you have merged everything except dayz_spaceinterrupt.sqf and the points.hpp IIRC. I copied over my spaceinterrupt from Raymix's DL and maybe thats whats gone wrong, because otherwise I have done everything correctly. Does the getpos function error I showed you mean anything to you, or should I talk to Raymix?

Also, what is the path you use to call your server custom folder, from what I can see all calls are location specific or they have the "z\" prepend. I don't know how to call back a directory or two -_-.

I see in your instructions that you call the server monitor just by using "custom\system\server_monitor.sqf". So I guess my question is then, how does the compiler know the difference between the "custom" folder in MPMISSIONS and the "Custom" folder in the root directory? I didn't think sqf was case sensitive but I promise to LOL at myself if that's it.

EDIT 2:

Using admintools and temp vehicles, you will be killed by an explosion when starting the engine.

doenst happen when you ll use permanent vehicles or the default spawned ones.

Ryker I think this is an issue with your BattleEye filter that Nox provides, or the edit in init.sqf that encases the default epoch antihack (I'm assuming your using EAT 1.9 from NoxSicarius, if I'm wrong ignore me entirely). If it doesn't fix it throw up a post in his thread and I'll help you there, don't want to clutter up Rims thread for something that isn't his work.

Yep, thanks for the spot.  Will change the version number in the description on the next commit.  It does not make any actual difference.

Edit 1: Yep, only put that in if you have Snap Build Pro also installed.

Edit 2: Sorry, really don't know admin tools so cannot help there.

I installed this with Snap_Pro and when I enable modular build it doesn't work, starts building by showing the ghost object, but I have no control over it after that. Any ideas what could be causing this? I've checked all the files multiple times and I pretty sure they are in/pointing to the correct location.

Also, the server files aren't included in the Dropbox download?

I installed this with Snap_Pro and when I enable modular build it doesn't work, starts building by showing the ghost object, but I have no control over it after that. Any ideas what could be causing this? I've checked all the files multiple times and I pretty sure they are in/pointing to the correct location.

Also, the server files aren't included in the Dropbox download?

Use Rims github to get all the files. Beyond that this is some sort of standing issue a few of us are waiting for help on. I'm sure these guys are already working on a solution.

Rim, your P4L worked fine. Adding the Snap pro wasnt working as it stopped me from using the keyboard to build even with the correct dayzinterupt. Im glad I reverted as I notice RayMix had a player_build for P4L 2.2, Snap 1.4 and Building Vectors in his github. I compared Strikers player_build and edited it to have the 3 mods working together fine for your 2.2. I went and added Zupas Plotmanagement which was a breeze to install with 2.2 also. Thx for the great work m8. I just think at this stage we are waiting for the rest of the mods/addons to catch up to be compatible. I'm looking forward to the epoch update when we all share the same player_build etc and mod-ability is easier for us Copy and Pasters :P

I'm trying to get the 5 major (popular) building related mods to play nice in the sandbox together:

1) Plot for Life

2) Snap Build Pro

3) Striker's Build Vectors

4) Precise Building (required for vectors)

5) Zupa's Plot Management

Right now Raymix is trying to help me get SBP and P4L working, and once we get that settled I'm going to try and get the rest in peacefully. I believe it will be possible and I'll keep everyone updated on whether or not its a success.

At the end of the day they will never work if no one tests them.

Pot

Use Rims github to get all the files. Beyond that this is some sort of standing issue a few of us are waiting for help on. I'm sure these guys are already working on a solution.

UPDATE: Literally 30 seconds after I posted this Raymix stepped up and saved the day, beans for him.

This fix did nothing, in fact I think it broke the show plot boundary for me.

@poweredbypot I got them 5 all working with P4L 2.2 and most recent of the rest. I used this player_build from Raymix https://gist.github.com/raymix/801c04613325475978ca I compared it with Strikers Player_build and only made these edits. Instead of commenting them out I added them. 

Yeah my first test build I was trying to get them all in, but vectors was last to update and WAY WAY behind the others in terms of install order. I ended up with an issue where all vector'd items reverted to upright after a restart, and with all the other modifications having happened so long ago I ended up giving up and deciding to start over with the new P4L (they released within 24 hours of each other). I may decide to start a new build based on 2.2.X but progress is always good and I want to support the new modular build system as much as I can.

Good to see all you guys giving it a test and working to get it setup on your servers.  Without that people like myself cannot finetune and sort out any issues.

What I am getting from the above is;

A Plot for Life v2.32 works ok.

A Plot for Life v2.32 with integrated Snap Build Pro does not currently work correctly.

Is this correct ?.

One word of caution with integrating vectors and precise building.  Please make sure you amend the server_publishFullObject.sqf file as well as this file is used for the 'Take item ownership' plot pole action.  It is not used for anything else and was written just for that feature to reduce the number of DB calls from 3 to 2 on saving buildables with inventories.

I will have a look at the issue with Snap Build Pro integration tonight when I get home.

I have not included integration for the other mods as;

a. They are not my mods.

b. If one of the other mods changes, and some of them seem to be changing quite rapidly, then I have to update the package again.

c. Snap Build Pro is an exception as it is quite mature.  Raymix and myself are also happy to work together to make both mods better.

If any of the other mod makers wanted to work with me on integration then I would be mor ethan happy but the ones I have asked have not been so keen.  I would guess they would rather their mod was no 'obsorbed' in to someone elses which is fair enough.

I would strongly suggest, if you want the A Plot for Life and Snap Build Pro integrations working then install just those mods and test at that point before installing anything else (pref on a test server).  Throwing all the mods together at one time just makes a massive spiderweb of possibilities as to why something may not be working.

People may also want to try getting the spaceinterupt from the Epoch 1.0.5.2RC2 git as that is the one I used on my test server.  I am not sure if there are any differences to the one on Raymixs git (Raymix supplied both).

My own test server is still sitting there with A Plot for Life 2.31 on it but no Snap Build Pro integrated so I should be able to work on it as soon as I get home.